In 1931, a group of concerned men living in Lake Shenorock, which at the time was the only heavily populated area in the town of Somers, as well as having the only public water supply system; organized the Amawalk-Shenorock Volunteer Fire Department. Starting off in a small barn, with a 1921 White combination chemical engine/pumper, which the volunteers had a 1/5th interest in, with the remainder owned by the Shenorock United Owners Association. The barn later developed into the current Shenorock UOA clubhouse, at the corner of Shenorock Drive and Hillandale Road in Shenorock. As legend has it, the old "White" is buried in front of the clubhouse. In 1935, the organization grew, and became incorporated. In 1937, the townspeople realized a need for fire protection, in the rest of the town, and not just in Shenorock. So the Amawalk-Shenorock Volunteer Fire Department spread it's wings, officially changed it's territory of protection to the current boundaries of the Somers Fire District. On May 17, 1937 the organizations name was changed to the SOMERS VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT, INCORPORATED. In the following years, the department grew in strength, and apparatus. By 1943, the SVFD had three pieces of apparatus, housed strategically around town. A "pumper" in the hamlet of Granite Springs, a "brush truck" in the hamlet of Somers, and a "tanker" in the hamlet of Amawalk. The SVFD had purchased the old Amawalk Schoolhouse, which had a barn around back. The schoolhouse became the meeting hall and offices, while the barn served as the house for the tanker. In Granite Springs, a member, Joe Scramilino, allowed the SVFD to use his barn, located on Tomahawk Street (NY Route 118), which still exists, for the first Granite Springs Firehouse. Finally, in Somers, the SVFD leased a barn, located just off Somerstown Turnpike (NY Route 100), behind a residence at the corner of what is now Scott Drive. In 1952, looking into the future, the Somers Fire District was formed to utilize tax money to further fire protection and services to the community. In 1953, came our first Ambulance, a 1940 Buick, purchased from the Mahopac, NY Volunteer Fire Department, utilizing monies from the Fund Drive. In 1958, a big year, saw the construction of 3 Firehouses, located in Granite Springs, Lincolndale, and Somers. Along with the new houses, were 4 shiny new Seagrave pumpers. Thus bringing the apparatus total to 4 pumpers, 1 pumper/tanker, 1 brush truck, and 1 ambulance (the Mack tanker was disposed of at this time). During the 60's, additional changes took place. Our only ambulance was replaced 3 times during the 10 year span. In 1963, came our first Rescue Truck. In 1966, came 2 new Brush Trucks (replacing the 1940 Engine, and the 1943 Brush Truck). Finally in 1967, saw the demolition of the old Schoolhouse and the completion of the current Amawalk Fire House. The 70's were not much different. In 1973, with the ambulance call volume on the rise, the department invested in a second ambulance. In 1975, came our first diesel powered, cab-forward pumper, an Oren. In 1976, came our first aerial ladder truck, an 100 foot aerial, purchased from the Larchmont, NY Volunteer Fire Department. In 1978 and 1979, came 2 more Oren pumpers. By 1981 (our 50th Anniversary), the SVFD looked something like this: 125 members, staffing 4 Firehouses, operating 7 Engine Companies, 1 Rescue Company, 1 Ladder Company, 2 Brush Fire Trucks, 2 Ambulances, and 1 Boat. In 1987, came 2 Firehouse expansions, the current Fire Headquarters added to the original two bay house in Lincolndale. 2 bays and a day room were added to the Somers House. A new "Flame Quencher Attack Unit" was purchased for the "Highway Rescue Team", a new Ford Brush Truck replaced one of the 1966 Internationals, and a new Ambulance. In the early 90's, saw the purchase of a new Pierce pumper/tanker, and the refurbishment of the 1978 and 1979 Oren's by Pierce, and 2 new Ambulances in 1992, and 1994, bringing our total of Ambulances to 3. In 1996, a new Pierce "rescue pumper" was delivered; built on a Freightliner chasis to replace the "Quick Attack" which was not big enough to handle all the new specialty equipment needed for vehicle extrication.
In 2006 (our 75th Anniversary), the professional services of the SVFD was called 1,673 times, while the dedicated members provided over 11,000 hours answering those calls for help. The apparatus line-up for our Anniversary parade consisted of 3 Command Vehicles, 3 pumpers, 2 pumper/tankers, a 100' Aerial Tower Ladder, a 3000-gallon Tanker, a Heavy Rescue Truck, a Brush Fire Unit, a Dive Rescue Vehicle and Rescue Boat and 3 Ambulances.
Currently, the Somers VFD provides fire protection, emergency medical care, vehicle extrication, underwater rescue, hazardous materials response, and just about anything else to serve our communities needs, serving over 20,000 citizens in a 33.3 square mile response district, the third largest in Westchester County, staffed with over 135 active members.