From December to January, the Town of Somers has seen record lows and a whole bunch of snow! But the weather has been no match for the volunteers of the Somers Volunteer Fire Department who battled a total of six "Working Structure Fires" and one Chimney Fire in December and have battled 2 Chimney Fires to start off 2018!
The department would like to take this time to remind everyone of Winter Weather Safety!
- Make sure space heaters while on are away from drapes, blankets, towels, and little children!
- Make sure if going out space heaters are turned off and unplugged!
- If you have a fire hydrant in front of your house or on your block, make sure to clear it out 3 feet each side and keep the front clear to the road!
- Make sure your house number is visible from the road so in case of emergency our members can assist you quicker!
- If you have a wood stove in your house, keep the embers from getting out! If the embers get out make sure there are no flammable materials near by!
- Make sure you and your family have an escape plan as well as a meeting place just in case something happens!
- If your house catches fire, make sure everybody is out. Do not go back inside for anything once everyone is safe. Proceed to the nearest neighbor's house and dial 911!
- Ensure your front walkway and drive way are shoveled to the best of your ability to prevent injuries from falling!
We at the Somers Volunteer Fire Department would like to wish all of you a very Happy and Healthy 2018!